Shoe Repairer Forum

700 - Vibration

Guest Kev'o

Guest Kev'o

Hope somebody can shine a little light on this one for me.

When the scouring bands are running it is practically impossible to use the heel trimmer. The vibration causes the timmer to grab and pull the shoe out of your hand (few near misses on the fingertips). When bands are not running the problem is not there.

This problem has only just been noticed on this machine due to it being used as a scourer for the last 3 years and never had a cutter installed.

Have had a quick visual at the bushes on the frame and all look good with no noticeable damage.

Regards

Kev

This could be a number of things Kev, but, it is likely to be the contact wheels being out of true. the fact that the machine has been used solely for scouring would suggest that these are at fault. However, it could be a build up of crap on the front and rear pullies, a broken trimmer mount bush?

I would suggest a visit by an engineer to assess it, but you would expect me to say that wouldn't you :) Alternatively, see if you can assess the problem yourself and we will be happy to supply the parts for the repair.

We do offer a 'Healthcheck' call out, at a reduced rate, which may be of help to you. Give our Service Manager, Nick Stewart a call, he'll be pleased to help.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Keith

I tend to agree with Keith on this as it is a Heath & Safety issue.

The offer of a reduced charge for a check seems reasonable.

One of these machines that I worked on 20 years ago is still in operation and in 1st class condition after wearing out 2 thousand or more bands, so 3 years is a mere drop in the ocean of life, unless of course the machine has been abused during the 3 years.

Worn bearings not only produce vibration they inrease the noise levels.

(providing of course that it is the bearings, I suspect the rear roller but just a guess!)

try removing the bands and then turning motor on and see if the vibration is still there. it sounds like one of the rear pulleys has gone out of balance. if it was a front pulley you would notice bouncing when scouring. if the rear pulleys are out of balance and have been for some time the motor may be knackered as well.

Guest Kev'o

The machine is quite a bit older than 3 years, we bought this and another one the same second hand. This machine was then placed into our new shop just 2 weeks ago ( why didnt I take the other one with me :? )

I will try the sugestion of running with the bands removed first thing in the morning. There is also a little bounce on the narrow band, but ths may be down to there is a hard plastic grooved wheel on there.

Will also check all bushes and rollers after giving it a good hoover.

and then call the experts ( or burn it :evil: )

Thanks for the info. Will post my findings

Cheers Kev'o

the rear pulleys are normally steel, sometimes aluminium and after a time the bands do wear them out. it is unusual for steel ones to go but it does happen. the ally ones went more frequently and are hardly ever seen now.

If the Crown has worn(is this what you mean by worn out?) this would make the belt unstable but I doubt if it would cause vibration. (I could be wrong of course).

My bet for the rear roller to cause vibration would be the bearings (but I could be wrong again).

all i can say is i have seen quite a few now where the older wheels have caused vibration and all these have had crown problems as well. saying that having a crown problems will not always come with a balance problem. if you look inside these wheels there are nearly always drill marks to correct them, we sometimes recrown but always re balance afterwards

That's a new one on me, do you mean balance like having your car wheel balanced?

Does this imbalance then put a strain on the bearings causing failure?

Any chance of a small series of pics next time you do one?

I would not mind betting that 60% or even a higher % of rollers have crowns that are past their sell by date.

the balance problem is just like tyres except we drill bits out instead of adding weights. however, the front pulleys are now being balanced by the manufacturer by adding weights. yes it does strain the bearings but not always so bad that they need replacing, it tends to cause the wobbles through the dampers more. the big danger with bearing damage is that the bearing housing becomes damaged which we have seen in a few motors when the bearings seize and spin inside the housing causing it to go egg shaped.

what kind of pictures would you like to see? removal and replacement of pulleys? or to show the crown difference?

Guest Kev'o

Vibration Problem Solved....

Rear wheels on motor were caked with hard compacted dust.

Job Done, was just getting ready to take another apart to rob its parts

Cheers all who helped

Kev'o