Shoe Repairer Forum

I've been used to a multi head trimmer for the last 15 years. However I have a Whitfield 700 with Bayonet fittings for the trimmers in the new shop.

Just switched on my machine and the trimmer that was on shot across the shop hitting a glass cabinette. Fortunatley no damage was done.

But as you can imagine if customer or myself had been in the way it could have been a different storey.

Have any of you folks ever had the same thing happen.

Are these things safe, Its put me off em :o

Bet none of the lightbulbs in your house work either then! :wink:

:lol: :lol:

This happened to me years ago with a bayonet fitting.

I hadn't been using the trimmers just the mini band when it happened today. It must have worked lose, in which case is dangerous.

PS all the bulbs in our house are screw in..... the missus stands on a revolving chair and I turn it :lol: :lol:

bayonet fittings are very reliable for fit. we have only ever had problems with 700s when the baonet sleeve part of the cutter has become worn, at this point you should throw it away as dangerous and use a different one. it may not look worn but try some others and see if they also become loose, the best way to tell is to start the cutters and stop them and see if the attachment has become loose as the slowing down part is when it will show more.

i use my ECB wheel on a bayonet fitting. i think this is the most aggresive grinder Ever made. a series of carbide cut off wheels side by side. any way it holds very securly. maybe check the pins on the shaft.

good luck.

safty first.

bkb

Had a good luck at the problem, and there doesn't seem to be any wear on the shaft, bayonet or the cutter sleeve.

My feeling is the cutter that came of was a 27mm doc martin cutter which I inherited with the machine, Its been sharpened many times and probably isn't running as true as it should, slight vibration may be the problem.

It's been binned know.

Thoughts.

i was looking at my trimmer again ( cause flying off the handle ) sounds

F!@#%*^ up. the trimmer has a 'cut out' for both left and right instalation. there stands a chanc that i could install it reverse, causing the afor mentioned problem. thats how i would make it fly off.

thanks for mentioning this.

bkb