Shoe Repairer Forum

Charles birch keys

Guest richard

just had mi new cb keys in - thing is there only 9-95 per hundres and come in different profiles.

1a- 35b- 36m- ul1- ul1r- ul2- ul2r- gege- corbin- yax- and loads of others.

thing is there silver in colour, and cheap!

Originally this was posted in the reviews section, so I think Richard was reviewing Birch's current key supplying situation. I moved it away from there as its not really what the reviews section is going to be for (Sorry Richard)

However I have re-worded the review section, as this is designed to be for reviewing specific Items and needs to be of the quality of the current tutorials page to really work :wink:

Lee

Steel Chubb type blanks, these wear the levers prematurely, is it going to be the same with the pins in Cylinnder Barrels using steel blanks?

it's the biggest pile of twaddle i was ever told, i concede that it may be true on a lock that has a VERY high volume of use but i've yet to meet anybody who complained that their lock hadn't lasted as long as expected because of the wrong material being used for blanks :shock: :?

anyway, on a lighter note, worn locks (prematurely or otherwise) need replacing don't they? cha ching to those who supply and/or fit them 8)

Have a look at the damage to the plastic spacers and how the lock becomes unusable when a someone using cheap steel blnks gets it wrong.

I tested these blanks many years ago on my own locks and I can cut keys acurately. (no saying that these key blanks are the same you understand or that we have folk who cant set machines up)

Steel Chubb type blanks, these wear the levers prematurely, is it going to be the same with the pins in Cylinnder Barrels using steel blanks?

it's the biggest pile of twaddle i was ever told

Many locks use brass Levers, Pins or Wafers, so steel/alloy keys can & will cause wear to these parts over time

Take a look at quality of the cut your equipment makes, are the sides of the peaks & the base of the valleys smooth, if these are jagged or have a filed appearence then you cutters are blunt or the blanks are being cut through too fast

Steel keys cut in this poor quality fashion will wear the internals of a lock, because they have a file/saw like action on the brass part within the lock

Hooray, backup, the cavalry have arrived.

I always rounded the cuts off on all mortice Keys due to this very problem, plus it made for a smoother turn in the lock.

common sence would say use the same or softer material for the key unless you want to wear the customers lock on purpose and I cant believe anyone on this forum would go to those lenghts for a bit more trade. :wink:

hello chaps

Tel100 these cb keys are these their own brand 1a's (cb 52) thats silver coloured but brass material? if so they are selling them in london for 65.00 per 1000, I recently brought some.

Ihave had no trouble as of yet, but would be interested to know what trouble you have had with these.

kind regards paul

hello chaps

TeL200

I have had no trouble as of yet, but would be interested to know what trouble you have had with these.

kind regards paul

Hi Paul,

I've had no issues with these blanks because I don't stock them

but I've been informed by a reliable source that these blank stock are crap, cheap & nasty, don't think you'd find any locksmith worth their salt using them