Shoe Repairer Forum

stick on soles

i know some of you are gonna gimme stick over this but hey, what the hell.

i read in richard earl's column in the cutting edge that he was reluctant to do a pair of stick a soles the same day for a lady customer because he was on his own :shock: :shock:

i work on my own three days a week and even when i'm hammered out to the point where i don't get any lunch i would still have gladly taken the job on, realistically, how long does it take to fit (and do a good job) a pair of stick on soles onto a pair of lady's shoes??

i remember working for timpson's as a trainee when they used to hold 'fastest stick a sole' competitions, i saw some bloody good jobs done in under 3 minutes too.

(yes, yes, i know about the adhesive drying and them being fit to wear in a set period of time)

when he relinquished she even paid him double, which he refused once but then accepted upon her insistence, for doing it :shock:

cripes, call me what you want but i wouldn't've been able to look her in the eye.

rick.

I work day in day out on my own, and always take jobs in for next day to 2 days away.

BUT this method allows for slotting in a quicky! rarely do I loss work this way.

I tend to allow about 1-2 hours for this job (if possible) this gives me time to serve & cut keys with out being under pressure of letting the customer down.

Lee

I find it s all down to communication skills.

some of these guys cant hold a conversation with there customers while they are waiting so choose not to do it while they wait.

Rapport is your best tool for getting the customer to return dont have any and guess what they wont come back!

Love while you wait jobs its sometimes the best crack of the day.

I find it s all down to communication skills.

some of these guys cant hold a conversation with there customers while they are waiting so choose not to do it while they wait.

Rapport is your best tool for getting the customer to return dont have any and guess what they wont come back!

Love while you wait jobs its sometimes the best crack of the day.

Hib's, your bang on target there mate, some repairers don't even look at their customers let alone have a passing the time of day conversation.

customers love a bit of banter, especially the older ones :wink:

As for the while u wait stick on soles, there's no reason why It can't be done sucessfully.

How long would you leave the glue to dry if the customer wasn't waiting anyway.

Some repairers look at customers as a hinderance & it shows, thats why they'll always be middle of the road. :?

Good old bit of banter remember that :D

Good post that Hibs.

I agree sas should be while u wait, I have a very high turn over work 6 days a week and have done for 2 1'2 years with out a day off as for banter i use the one when I cut a yale key and hand it over the woman sya that was quick and i usually reply your not the first woman to say that to me , always raises a laugh .

Sas should take no more than 15 mins even when primering

Drying and Curing are two different things.

No reason why you cant do that job in 10 minutes though.

As to wether it is the correct practice then that is another mattter.

Who gives a toss anyway, as long as the customer is satisfied.

2 mins, 5 mins, 10 mins, 20 mins, 2 days, it's not how fast Hugh-Candoit but the satisfaction of the customer that counts and will they come back for more or come back as a complaint.?

they come back time & time again.

some people manage to do a really bad job while u wait :evil:

& some people do an excellent job while u wait. :D

I don't think it matters wether it's while u wait or not,,, just do a good job.

I agree that the glue need's extra time after the repair to "cure"

after the job is finished, but not long.

especially if your a red hot under the lamp merchant.

there's no need for heat in a lot of case's, but repairers insist on setting them on fire before they attach them :?

there's no need for heat in a lot of case's, but repairers insist on setting them on fire before they attach them :?

Cringe, Cringe, Cringe :roll: Hope the Chemists from Bostic, Renia, Kommerling, Balls and so on, dont read that.

Yes it happens in most shops and unfortunately it is the way we have allowed the situation to develop over the years, the bigger the company the worse the situation, probably originating from pressure selling.

Now I aint saying that its all wrong, just that it is not the way that the adhesive was developed or intended to be used.

Cringe, Cringe, Cringe :roll: Hope the Chemists from Bostic, Renia, Kommerling, Balls and so on, dont read that.

Yes it happens in most shops and unfortunately it is the way we have allowed the situation to develop over the years, the bigger the company the worse the situation, probably originating from pressure selling.

Now I aint saying that its all wrong, just that it is not the way that the adhesive was developed or intended to be used.

Just reading My post :oops:

Sounds like I am endorsing setting the soles on fire.

NO NO NO, I hate it when you see a repairer tryin to put the soles on and thier to hot for him to touch :lol: :lol:

weres the sense in that.

For rubber solution there isn't any need for heat whatsoever,unless you've let them dry to long :wink:

Don't want you thinkin I'm a cowboy Hughbydoo :wink:

Not that you would anyway :roll: :lol:

Burnt acouple of pairs myself :oops:

Talkin of fires, a few years ago I'd got a candle on the go in the back of the shop. I was melting some wax.

I had a customer who kept me talking, when I turned round the back of the shop was black with smoke :o

the candle had fallen over and fell into the enamel pot. bloody lucky I didn't burn the shop down, took a week to clean up the black off the walls :lol: :evil:

eh, i set fire to a dr marten boot once in front of the customer :oops:

i'd glued the sole which was coming adrift and decided to burn off a loose thread whilst it was curing, the whole bloody thing went up for a few secs, the customer fell off his friggin' chair and i nearly had an heart attack :shock:

Rick, :lol: :lol: we just laughed ourselves silly over that post :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just picture the guys face.... and then you makin out it's perfectly normal :lol: :lol: